This week I have been participating in a challenge on Facebook, the more veggies challenge. I am simply adding more veggies to our meals, mainly our dinners. It is something I do have a hard time with!
But I want to share with you, a really yummy and simple summer veg + chicken with Couscous Recipe that was just so good! I wasn’t able to capture every step of the cooking process this time, but I have the finished meal for you to see. Enjoy!
Summer Veg + Chicken with Couscous Recipe
- 6 chicken thighs
- Poultry seasoning rub (I used presidents choice)
- Salt + pepper
- 3 large Beats + steams, halved and sliced
- 2-3 carrots, peeled, cut in half and quartered
- 1 orange bell pepper, sliced and diced
- 1 white onion, sliced
- 2/3 cup of yellow split peas
- 6 baby white potatoes, quartered
- 1 3/4 cup of water
- Heat an oven proof dish, medium-high heat, a lug of veg oil and toss in your chicken thighs. Salt + pepper, and a few dashes of your poultry seasoning.
- Fry up the chicken until they are cooked and nicely browned on each side.
- While your chicken is frying up, peel your carrots cut them in half and then quarter them.
- Cut the tips and ends of your beats off. Keep the stems and if you want to use the greens, keep them for adding later in later on.
- Cut your white onion in half, then slice it up.
- Cut your orange bell pepper into rings, then into smaller chunks.
- Once the chicken thighs are done, using tongs, remove the chicken from the pan and set aside on a plate.
- Keeping the chicken juices, add in your carrots, beets, onion, and bell pepper. Let these cook for about 5 minutes on the stove.
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Then, push the majority of the veg to the side and add in your water, and the yellow split peas. Make sure they are in the bottom with the water, so they can soften and cook. Put the veg back on top and even it out.
- Top off with your baby potatoes and your best greens if desired.
- When your oven is ready, cover your oven proof pot with its lid and pop it into the oven. Cool for 35-45 minutes.
- Serve with a simple Couscous and enjoy.
- 2 cups Couscous
- 3 cups of boiling water with liquid chicken bouillon (use kettle)
- Butter on top when done
- Pour Couscous in a bowl
- Pour your boiling water from the kettle, into a measuring cup and add in your liquid chicken bouillon, mix to combine.
- Then add this to your bowl of Couscous.
- Cover with plastic wrap.
- Wait 5 minutes.
- When it is done, all the liquid will be absorbed and you can take a fork, fluff it up and stir in some butter.
- You can salt and pepper it if you’d like.
That’s a wrap everyone! This dish was really easy to whip up, and I hope you give it a try if you’re looking for ways to add more root veg to your diet.
Till next time,
Breathe deeply and enjoy building your masterpiece with scissors and glue,