We are baking up a batch of Yummy Chocolate Chip Cookies for our storybook teatime, with a cup of milk while reading If You Give A Mouse A Cookie!
We love chain stories
If You Give A Mouse A Cookie by Laura Joffe Numeroff and Felica Bond is one of our favorites to read because of its fun storytelling nature of chaining one occurrence to the next. My kids love listening to this story and talk about all the funny things this little mouse has his friend doing. In fact, my kiddos love this book so much, I have created a learning pack for them, and you! Find the link to download at the bottom of this post.
Watch our YT Read-Aloud of “If You Give A Mouse A Cookie” while we bake these Yummy Chocolate Chip Cookies:
If you have been following me on Instagram or reading our blog for any length of time, you may have noticed that I love reading books and baking cookies. It could be a little addiction I have, but I don’t hear my kids complaining. Let me share with you the recipe for these yummy chocolate chip cookies, that are wonderful to bake up for your next storybook teatime.
Yummy Chocolate Chip Cookies Recipe
You will need:
- 1/2 cup of room temperature salted butter
- 1/2 cup of white sugar
- 1 cup of packed brown sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp of vanilla
- 2 eggs
- 2 1/2 cups of flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 cup of semi-sweet chocolate chips
How to make Yummy Chocolate Chip Cookies, inspired by If You Give A Mouse A Cookie:
- Preheat your oven to 350F.
- Cream the butter with sugars.
- Then slowly add your eggs and vanilla. Whip with a whisk until light and fluffy.
- Slowly add in your flour, and baking soda.
- I like to sift mine for best results.
- Using a spatula, mix gently, not overbeating.
- Once your dough has become completely mixed you can add in your chocolate chips.
- Bake your cookies for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown, just along the edges.
- It’s best not to over bake. They do come out of the oven looking underdone and are round and puffy. Once you let them cool out of the oven they will shrink down slightly.
- Transfer to a cooling rack and continue to bake all to cookies and place them inside your cookie jar for the week to enjoy during storybook tea time with your kids.
Check out our Language Arts Learning Pack below:
When you make these cookies and use our LA resources, please tag us @alexandra.derry on IG so we can know!
Thanks for reading,
Have fun with scissors and glue, and cookies too!