Check out how a bag of Lays Salt & Pepper Chips has transformed the way we cook chicken for our kids! Learn the technique that has them jumping for joy, and asking for more!
My kids love chicken strips or chicken nuggets. If it’s chicken and breaded, they love it. They practically refuse to eat anything else. Maybe I should thank McDonald’s, I don’t know, but, for the life of me, I have struggled with finding a simple recipe for making this type of meal that my kids actually like.
We have had success with my breaded chicken fingers in the past, but then, while trying out HelloFresh meal service, we have picked up some cooking techniques that have changed the way we cook a lot of our food. In fact, we learned one of the best techniques for cooking Crispy Chip-Chicken.
Let me show you how you can make it, and win your kids over with just 3 ingredients and no frying!
Crispy Chip Chicken Recipe
- 9 chicken thighs
- 1/2 cup of mayonnaise
- 1 bag of Salt & Pepper Lays Chips
Method for making your own Crispy Chip-Chicken your kids will love:
- Take your bag of salt & pepper chips, and simply use our hands to crush the chips while still in the bag.
- In a pie dish, pour out your crushed chip bits.
- Take a small bowl, and place about 1/2 cup of mayonnaise with a spoon. I keep this same spoon in the mayonnaise jar just in case I run out midway.
- Prepare your baking sheet with a silicone liner or parchment paper and Preheat the oven to 425 F.
- Take your chicken thighs, and using a finger spatula or second spoon, apply a thin layer of mayonnaise to one side of your chicken.
6. Flip your chicken mayonnaise side down onto your crushed chips, to coat your chicken. Then, apply another thin layer of mayonnaise on top of the other side of your chicken.
7. Next, you can flip your chicken around again, or simply grab some chips from the sides of the dish, and cover the chicken thigh, and pat down gently.
8. Place onto the prepared baking sheet and continue until you have either used up all your chips or run out of baking sheet room. We had enough crushed chips from one large bag for 9 chicken thighs, and they could fit nicely on our regular sized baking sheet.
Bake your Crispy Chip-Chicken for 20 minutes or until it reaches a minimum internal temperature of 74C/165F.
After 20 Minutes in the Oven
Your crispy chip-chicken will be golden brown and bubbling at the edges, and smelling really good.
These did not last long out of the oven, and I wasn’t able to snap any photos of the kids eating them, as we just gobbled them down. A true winner and my picky eaters LOVE THEM.
My kids request this for dinner twice a week and practically lick the plate clean, and now eating at McDonald’s doesn’t cut it for them. I think my job here, is done.
I hope you give this recipe a try, it is so simple, and with only 3 ingredients, it is very quick to make. I love that it bakes in the oven because there is no need to fry them in oil. Prep them, and let them bake, then serve them up with whatever sides you love. The next thing I want to test out is making a vegetable puree, and mixing it with the mayonnaise to sneak in a bit more veg!
Til next time,
Breathe deeply and enjoy building your masterpiece with scissors and glue and chip-chicken too!